Sweet and Sour Spareribs, just as the name reveals, is sweet from sugar and sour from rice vinegar with the unique aroma from the sesame oil and other ingredients, making the fried spare ribs taste very good
The Sweet and Sour taste (糖醋味) is one of many taste styles in Sichuan Cuisine. Although it is less famous than the Spicy and Numbing style (麻辣味), the Sweet and Sour taste has been widely used in many dishes of Sichuan Cuisine, such as sweet and sour fish, sweet and sour pork, sweet and sour ribs and etc.
Below is the recipe of Sweet and Sour Spareribs.
Preparation time: 30 minutes (not including the marination time).
Cook time: 30 minutes
Spareribs： 1 lb
1. Salt 3/4 teaspoon; (adjust the amount of salt according to your preference);
2. Shaoxing rice wine (绍兴黄酒) 3 teaspoon;
For Deep Frying: Vegetable Oil / Soybean Oil / Peanut Oil: 8 oz (you can use one of the three listed and the amount of oil may vary depending on the deep fryer or wok you use)
1. Salt(盐) 1/4 teaspoon
2. Granulated Sugar(白砂糖) 3-4 tablespoon
3. Black Chinese Vinegar (中国酿造醋） 2 table spoon (Chinkiang Vinegar or Baoning Vinegar, 镇江香醋 或 保宁醋)
4. Light Soy Sauce (生抽) 1 teaspoon
5. Corn Starch (淀粉) 4 teaspoon
6. Vegetable Oil/Soybean Oil/Peanut Oil 3 tablespoon
7. Garlic(蒜): 2 teaspoon chopped garlic
8. Ginger(姜): 2 teaspoon chopped ginger
9. Sesame Oil(芝麻油): 1 teaspoon
10. Chicken broth(鸡汤): 1 cup
11. white sesame seed (芝麻): 1 teaspoon
1. Cut spare ribs into 3 cm long strip;
2. Marinate the ribs with salt and rice wine for 30 minutes (you can adjust the marinating time according to your preference. The longer the marinating, the more salty the rib)
3. Deep fry the ribs in a wok or a deep fryer till the rib color becomes golden and get ribs out and drain the excessive oil and put ribs in a plate
4. Make the sauce: Put 3 tablespoon vegetable oil in a clean wok with medium heat; Add sesame seed, garlic and ginger and stir-fy till the aroma comes out; Add 1 cup of Chicken Broth, 4 teaspoon corn starch, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon salt and use medium heat and stir continuously as the mixed liquid thickens;
5. Add the fried spareribs, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and 1 teaspoon white sesame seed in the wok and evenly mixed with the sauce
6. Get the ribs and sauce into a plate and ready to serve.