Husband and Wife Meat Slices (Fu Qi Fei Pian 夫妻废片) is a popular Sichuan dish, made of sliced beef and beef offal. It is a very famous traditional cold dish of Sichuan Cuisine. In this dish, the red oil sauce was spicily hot and slightly sweet. The name Fu Qi means husband and wife and Fei Pian means lean beef and innards. Because a married couple formulated the recipe with local ingredients such as Sichuan pepper and chili oil and sesame, this dish is named Husband and Wife Meat Slices (Fu Qi Fei Pian).
Prepare Time: 40-45 mins
Cooking Time: 5-6 hours
Beef and ox of offal (beef tongue, cattle scalp, trip, beef heart) 500g
Dried chili 5-8 g
Chili Powder 3 tablespoon
Cinnamon Stick *2
Star anise *2
Bay Leaves *2
Fennel 1 teaspoon
Chinese prickly ash (Sichuan Pepper) 2 teaspoon
Say sauce 1/2 cup
Crystal sugar 40g
Vegetable oil 1 cup
Balsamic vinegar 1 teaspoon
Sesame oil 1/2 teaspoon
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Tsing Ma pepper 1 teaspoon
Ginger 3 slices
Cooking wine 2 teaspoons
- Put beef offal, ginger, green onion, cooking wine, and water into pot with high heat until it cooked, and then turn to medium heat for 30 mins.
- Take out the beef offal and wait until cooling down and then put into refrigerator.
- Put star anise, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon stick, tsaoko, fennel, and Chinese prickly ash into a plate and those spices separate into 2 bowls.
- The one spices bowl put 5-8g dried chili and chili powder.
- Heat the vegetable oil and pour into the spices bowl and then put in the regular temperature 4-5 hours, and filter the spices and chili oil.
- Add crystal sugar and soy sauce into another spices bowl until it boil and turn to small heat for 20-30 minutes and filter the spices and oil.
- Fried Tsing Ma pepper with medium heat for 3-4 minutes and Tsing Ma pepper were ground into powder
- Chili oil mixes with say sauce, beef broth, Tsing Ma pepper powder, balsamic vinegar, sesame oil and salt
- Take out the beef offal and cut into slices.
- Put meat slices into a plate and pour the chili oil mixture on meat slices and ready to serve.